Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Mary Poppins

Dear Jules,
This has nothing to do with DS--at all!--but all of this time with you has allowed me to indulge in my passion for all things Julie Andrews.  And the best part of it is that you have also enjoyed them!  By "all things," I mean all things that a toddler can possibly focus on, but I'm proud to say that you made it through half of Sound of Music and absolutely adore the "Do-Re-Mi" song:
Today, our continued imprisonment in the house (can you all tell I'm an extrovert?) was made better by us watching Mary Poppins.  I love "Spoon Full of Sugar," but you really enjoyed the song "Feed the Birds," which really does show off Andrews's vocal range.
I just love the crispness of her voice, the wonderful way she enunciates, and, basically, everything about her.  This is mostly because I also watched these movies with my parents when I was a little girl, and there is something truly timeless about them.  Julie Andrews isn't singing any more- she unfortunately had throat cancer- but she is still beautiful, classy, timeless, and she conveys a sort of sincerity we don't see much any more.  One of the great joys of parenthood is to share one's passions with one's kids, and this has been a real treat for me.  (As for your father, he wants you to play first-person shooter video games with him, but that's a matter for another day.  At least you can sing with sincerity while you blow up zombie faces).

No comments:

Post a Comment