Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hungary

Dear Jules,
I know that you're thrilled to be home, to be with Puck, and to be with your friends at school, but I would love for you to remember, when you're older, how meaningful these past three weeks were.  You saw so many family members, all of whom love you so dearly.  Perhaps most meaningfully, you got to see my aunt, Zsuzsa néni, who I'm not sure you will get to see again.  You were so sweet with her- normally you snuggle and pull on hair and wrestle, but you lay there with her, sweet as pie.
It's like you knew, and it made me respect you so much more.  You are a person with a wonderful heart, open, willing to give your love to anyone and everyone (even the drug dealer in the ER last year who had been shot, but that's another story for another day).
You also got to see Nagyi, who loves you so very much and, just like Grammy, embraced you from the beginning.  You really are lucky to have so many people who love you, so I made you a video of our visit:
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free photo slideshow created with Smilebox


The video is about family, but I'd also love for you to remember the beautiful landscapes we saw.


This is the Hortobágy, Hungary's Great Plain (the largest plain in Europe).  The people who lived here were horse and cattle herders, so we got to witness some interesting shows of prowess, like the one above.  

We also went to these amazing Stalagtite-Stalagmite caves in Aggtelek, on the border of Hungary and Slovakia (the caves actually go to Slovakia). 
The coolest part was a "concert" during which they lit up parts of the cave:



The next day, we went on a hike in the mountains in Slovakia.  You weren't able (yet) to come with us, so I want to show you pictures of what they call the "Grand Canyon" of Slovakia.





After that, we spent a lot of time with family, so our next scenic trip was to Budapest.  You were there for this one, but I wanted to share some pictures so that you'd remember:
Parliament at Sunset

During the Day


Inside


The Lower House Chamber


And, last but not least, I'd like to add one more video.  Mom and I went to a concert at the St. István Basilika, and a violinist and his group (the Duna String Orchestra).  I still think he rushed it a bit, but he played the meditation from Thais, a piece my grandfather played often and taught to me.  So I wanted you to hear it, although I wish to God that you could have heard him playing it instead.  I can't get my recording to come up, but here it is on YouTube:



Sorry to bore you with all of the pictures, but I really wanted you to remember this trip, both because of all of the family we were able to see and because of the beautiful scenery.  You come from a heritage of proud, smart, musical people (on both sides), and I want you to remember your roots, always.  



No comments:

Post a Comment